The original Super Smash Bros. may be over fifteen years old, but it’s still well worth your time. In addition to being just plain fun, it’s also nice to see where the series began and how far it has progressed. If you decide to give it a go, there are a number of unlockables that you can obtain.
- Jigglypuff is unlocked by completing the 1P Game campaign on any difficulty as any character. You will then have to fight and defeat her on the Saffron City stage.
- Captain Falcon is obtained by completing the 1P Game campaign on any difficulty as any character, as long as you do so in 20 minutes or less. Once this criterion is met, Captain Falcon will appear on Planet Zebes.
- Ness is unlocked by completing 1P Game on Normal difficulty as any character with three lives and no continues. He is fought on Dream Land.
- Luigi is obtained by completing the Target Test bonus game with all eight starter characters (Mario, Donkey Kong, Yoshi, Link, Samus, Fox, Kirby, and Pikachu).
- The only unlockable stage in Super Smash Bros. is Mushroom Kingdom. It becomes available once you complete 1P Game as all eight starter characters and play on every stage at least once.
- The Sound Test is unlocked by completing Target Test and Board the Platforms with all twelve characters.
- The Item Switch, which really shouldn’t have to be unlocked, is obtained by playing one hundred rounds of Versus matches.